Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Practice of eating with humble mind

Our family’s car drove up to middle of Baegunsan Mountain in Gwangyang to visit two women monks living there at their small Buddhist temple. Those two monks are my mom’s one of the closest friends after my mom had interviewed them for her magazine article. Surrounded by the range of mountains and gorges looking like folding screens were spread widely, there was one little temple that we would visit. That temple was so tiny so that it almost looked like a dot in the green canvas.
We finally reached to their temple, and those two monks greeted us from the narrow drive way. Wearing grey and modest-looking clothing covering almost entire skin and having no hair, two women monks smiled gently and kindly at me and my family. They folded their hands together and bowed to us for welcoming. In the serene and motionless temple, I bowed to golden Buddha statue standing in front of me. After bowing down three times, I was allowed to get up and look around the temple. This place was made of traditional Korean style of architecture that can be seen as houses built from old dynasty. As I approached near to the kitchen, I could smell warm white rice along with hot August breeze. I was suddenly awakened completely because of mixture of fragrant of colorful burning candles that praises Buddha and strong smell of soy paste. My family and I helped out two monks for cooking lunch. I cut tofu into small pieces and mingled them with shredded red and green peppers. The strands of oyster mushrooms swirl into hearty soup of soy bean paste. After helping them for five minutes, they asked us to just sit down on the floor and wait for foods. For another ten minute of waiting for food, it was like the worst torture that I had in my life because the smell and sound of making foods made my mouth watered.
            The platters started to come out from the kitchen. On the table after setting up all plates and a pot with food, we started to dig our chopsticks and spoons into food. These foods were all vegetarian foods since monks are the strict vegetarians, and they are not even allowed to eat fish and eggs according to their laws of Buddha. I thought the foods would taste dull and unflavored because there is no meat or condiments that smeared onto each food. However, it was opposite of that as soon as I had the first bite. These foods have adequate amount of seasonings to awake my taste buds joyfully. The color of all these foods were contrasting together: translucent green lotus root to wrap rice with purple eggplants or mushrooms, red kimchi that monks made with town people in last fall, hot soy bean paste soup with grated garlics, white and soft tofu, peppers, and mushrooms, and yellow ginger with little bit of salted green beans. These were side dishes for this whole meal. When I put the spicy soup, the hot liquid quickly came down and warmed my stomach. Every food went into my mouth was amazingly soft, crunchy, and fresh. I’ve never thought that I would be satisfied with solely vegetarian foods since I was so used to the cities’ aggressive and overly flavored with excessive condiments of texture and flavor of foods. I could see and taste more lively ingredients in these dishes because of these ingredients were free from culture of continuous adding more and more condiments to dishes.
My family and I were amazed by those wonderful dishes and asked the monks for tips for cooking. And then they told us that more you add, it is showing more greed of humans, and it will not contain essence of truth taste of food. They continued, “Foods loaded with greasiness, non-nutrient junk ingredients, and overly fried and cooked make people unhealthy and unhappy since these foods control their pure minds to be corrupted souls.”
I learnt the lesson that day. It was my first food to change my view of perceiving world of consuming food. It changed my life to be less consumptive and suggested me that vegetarian foods can be more delicious than omnivore’s style of food. I realized that I was not privileged for being omnivore to taste every kind of food without feeling guilt or thankful to ingredients that compose my body and soul. The monks told us this, “Eating should be the act of not only fattening our bodies but also fattening our soul.”
This was my first time thinking that I should be thankful to the lives that sacrificed for my foods, sunlight, air, water, and earth, all the things on this earth. I criticized my own food habit: being hungry and seeking for only delicious and large amount for food without throwing out my greed.

I know the answer. Eat moderately and be humble to the living things. What a blissful joy that I haven’t known for seventeen years!

No comments:

Post a Comment