Sunday, May 11, 2014

The assumptions and expectations for dining out in Zooroona!

I expect Zooroona to serve the authentic Middle Eastern cuisine that has the variety of menu choices, and if that can be true, then this restaurant definitely represents a “vivid entryway into another culture” for me (Long 1). I’ve never really experienced Middle Eastern culture or food since most of my lifetimes I have lived in Korea where there are not many Middle Eastern people live. Although Indian restaurants are quite common in Seoul, Middle Eastern restaurants are hard to find in there. Also, my knowledge and experience for tasting Middle Eastern food are limited, and I don’t really know much about its culture.
From my personal experiences in the past, only representative food I have known for the Middle Eastern food is Kebab. I saw kebab for the first time in my life on the street actually, not even in the restaurant. I smelled roasting Kebab from 15 feet away from an entry of Myeong-dong station as soon as I got out of there. Of course I didn’t know where is that smell from, but while walking down the busy Myeong-Dong Street, I found a Korean lady making kebab which was probably Korean-version of kebab. Next to the well-done grilled kebab on a skewer, there were ketchup and mustard. My brother who went to Turkey with my dad told me that these sauces weren’t supposed to go along with that kebab if this kebab is the authentic one. It was only five dollar, so I bought it and had a bite. It wasn’t that great since there were many parts were burned, but since it was cheap, I didn’t complain. I dipped the kebab into ketchup, and it tasted like yakitori which is a common street food in Korea and is originated from Japan. The kebab I had was made of chicken, and yakitori is a grilled and skewered chicken too. The juicy shreds of chicken were thick but tender.
I expect more than this juicy and tender but burned chicken kebab when I get to taste dishes in Zooroona. For the dining experience in Zooroona, I assume that I will taste more authentic Middle Eastern dishes since I heard that Zooroona’s owner is from the Middle East. My only worry for this experience is what if I get horrible service and long wait time. I hate waiting in the restaurant while smelling delicious dishes that I can’t eat right now. Also, if I’m hungry, that’s worst. I’m sure that as Zooroona isn’t cheap restaurant, the service will be nice, but I never know! I’m worried about service because I don’t really know much about the Middle Eastern food, I hope the waiters and waitresses can kindly and patiently guide me about the Middle Eastern dishes while bearing my ignorance of what are true Middle Eastern foods.
My hope for this experience is that I will be able to taste high-quality kebab and authentic Middle Eastern desserts. When I go to restaurants serving cultural foods, I always focus on desserts since I consider eating desserts finishes up the journey of tasting whole meal time.

My restaurant review for Zooroona will be related to Tokyo Redux chapter in A Cook’s Tour by Anthony Bourdain. Tokyo Redux is about Bourdain experiencing natto that he describes as “an unbelievably foul, rank, slimy, glutenous, and stringy goop of fermented soybeans. It’s the Vegemite of Japan, dearly loved by everyone there, for reasons no outsider can understand” (152). I might be an outsider like Bourdain that I don’t understand some parts of the Middle Eastern food. My assumption of Zooroona is that they probably serve authentic and traditional Middle Eastern dishes, and I’m going to face with culturally rich dishes that I might hate to taste. But, I might love to taste these dishes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment